Originally Published on Cortes Radio.ca
Cortes Island, January 31, 2018 – Cortes Radio reached a significant milestone this month. The station was created to broadcast the concerns, activities and talents of the Northern Gulf Islands to the general public. According to our license, most of our content is supposed to be produced locally (whether it is a DJ broadcasting his musical choices, local music or a local talk show). Up until recently, the station has not been able broadcast the required quota. As of January 2018, CKTZ broadcasts 100 hours of local content every week.
CKTZ Broadcasts 100 Hours Of Local Content Every Week
Some of this has come as a result of our broadcasting more repeats:
- In addition to its usual (10:30 AM – 1:00 PM) Saturday broadcast, Anything Goes with Howie & Paul now repeats Thursdays: 8-10:30 PM.
- Clio FM is on Wednesday 5:00-7:00 PM and again Friday 7-9 PM
- Free Range Radio with airs Sundays 7:30 -9:30 PM and Mondays 10:00 -10:30 PM
- From The Muse’s Garden with Victor Van Buskirk: Mondays 5 -7 PM; Thu 12 – 2 PM
- Island Voice, a shared space used by The ECOreport (most weeks) and Discovery Sound (every 4th Wed and the following Tuesday) is broadcast Wednesdays 9 AM and repeats Tuesdays at 5 PM.
- Pachamama Pranayama is Sundays 11:30 – 1 PM and Wednesdays 10 – 11:30 AM.
- Phil’s Pick ’n Mix – Wednesdays 8 -10 PM; Tuesdays 9 – 11 PM.
- Radio Clash with D J Johnnie is Fridays: 9:30 – Midnight; Wednesdays: 11 PM – 1 AM.
- ShimSham Show with Psychedelic Sam – Thursdays: 6:00-8:00 PM; repeats Mondays 2 – 4 PM.
- Stone Soup with DJ Artemisia is Wednesdays 12:30-2:30 PM and again Mondays 12 – 2 PM.
- Take me to the Casbah with Mr Driven’ broadcasts Sundays:10:00-12:00 PM, Thursdays: 10:30 PM – 12:30 AM.
- Vinho do Porto with Sussana is Tuesdays 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM and Fridays 1 – 2:30 PM.
The Acoustic Music Show, Adventure Rider Radio, Folk Club, Allegro, Ken Hanuse, Kirsten (Cinema Musique), Lunchtime Locomotion, Misty Morning Hop and Mixtapes continue at their regular times. (See the CKTZ’s schedule here)
There are also several new programs.
- After six years and a half years of guiding CKTZ’s listeners through the world of Classical music, Doug Butt retired last fall – but we are rebroadcasting another season of Allegro.
- Nature Boy, a naturalist’s perspective on global issuesThursdays 2:00-3:30PM.
- Discovery Sound is a monthly program of readings for kids.
- A literary program called I-Read is scheduled to start in February, Tuesdays 7:30 – 8:00 PM.
- The second season of Deep Roots, produced in partnership with the Klahoose Nation, is about to begin.
- For the second year, CKTZ is partnering with a local producer in a program for the National Campus and Community Radio Association’s Rendez-vous de la Francophonie program.
Another new program is in the works.
Top photo credit: George Sirk of CKTZ’s new program “Nature Boy.“
Roy L Hales is president of Cortes Community Radio, CKTZ 89.5 FM.